Friday 4 October 2013

Love and the workplace. Oil and Water? Or Vodka Redbull?



A conversation definitely not on gchat:



Johnny:               If I am sharing a cubicle with a coworker that is female, does that make her my office wife? or are we just office dating? 





Johnny:        Do I need to TDR?

Suzie:            Whats a TDR?

Johnny:        Crap that’s a banking term! DTR

Suzie::           Whats that?

Johnny:         Seriously? How long have you been in a relationship? Define The Relationship

Suzie:            Do you wake up everyday and just thinking of new things to increase the odds of getting fired?

Johnny:          But the firm can’t kill True Love! Even the witch in Snow White couldn’t & she had an apple!

Suzie:               …….





Dating in the workplace. This is a hard decision (no pun intended… okay maybe a little). I used to work in a place where this wasn’t an issue. The median age of my last place was 10 if not 15+ years. Also, I have always had the rule of not dipping the pen in the company ink, but this has changed! As a consultant, we have several Lines of Business, Departments, and clients. Interactions with people that more than likely we will never see again. Obviously you don’t go up or down the chain of command, but what about linear… to someone not in your department? To that project that is ending, and the tension can be cut with a chainsaw (we don’t do knives here). What is okay? What is wrong? What if it feels right but is wrong what if its feels wrong but is right what if its whatever feeling right ARGH! As you can see, this situation is a problem. Instead of telling me what not to do, which is always helpful joining a firm, tell me what I can do. I want to see the Training video “Hey Johnny, see that girl over there? Different department. She is waaaayyy into you. If you are amicable, you have every right to go talk to her and see what happens over mimosas and shrimps.” WHERE’S THAT VIDEO??







Anyways, I want this blog to be more interactive. What are the levels that are okay? Whats the not so obvious not okay ones? Draw me a Venn diagram. Get funky. Someone run a regression about sleeping with your boss and promotions!! Why did we graduate MBA school and become consultants if we can’t help our personal lives?? Strategic Decision Analysis. I am over here drawing issue trees with freaking hearts… crap she noticed… I think we are getting an office-divorce L



Finally: your pumped up song of the day. Chin up mister, you can always work somewhere else: 





No comments:

Post a Comment