Monday 25 November 2013

Communication: The way of the Consultant... and ramblings

Best advice given today from me:
Jessie: “Hey I’m going back on TV!”
Johnny: “That’s awesome. Wear something slutty, otherwise you look like one of the twins off full house.”
Still awaiting a response…..

Alright, sheeple. We are going to have a real consulting topic… I say this every time and like the cookie monster, I grab the dough, backwards spoon, and pop a light. Phew… glad that’s off my chest. Now you are responsible. Because, you know if you hear someone tell you a problem, it’s your job to fix it. I wish that worked at the office. Hey Jim, I’m really bummed cause that report is going to keep me up all night I might just eat too much Chinese food and kill myself with diabetes. Then boom, Jim does the work. And you get free insulin (which I hear is like huffing cat piss). Win… motherf’n win.  See?!?! Already off topic. Communication! There I got the title out. We are talking about communication!

You may be tempted to give this boilerplate answer... but it won't work in a client meeting. But surprisingly might work in Cosmo bar at 2:30AM. 

One of the biggest hurdles we face as consultants is ourselves. For being the second coming of the Christ of communication, we are pretty bad at it. Sometimes we revert to boilerplate answers. Drugs? Rehab. That shit is expensive holmes. How about I lock you up for 3 weeks with bread and water and we sweat it out? Like a cross between Black snake moan and Wanderlust, except with me copulating with Jennifer Anniston a whole lot more. See? Creativity! And you were just going to throw your ex into rehab cause she is doing “lemonade testing” behind the liquor store for change to buy crack while you are sitting at the office, playing Facebook, working on excel, and listening to some Lana Del Rey, making bank… THAT gentlemen, is the American dream. You guys never had that happen? Yea, you are right. I have to stop dating crack heads.

Did you know that EBT cards are now plastic cards? No more stamps... and taken at some ATMS... next to strip clubs, liquor stores, and swingers conventions... F yes! Gimme that sweet government subsidies! Cause its every man's right to get a lapdance... 'Merica!

The other problem? We come across as arrogant asses. Value add, Synergies, best practices (my bedroom name), Bottleneck, Birddog (buddy’s bar name), Boil the ocean (I also use this term for when I have to pee), EOD, SME,  the list is forever long… these words make us sound like Lord Fyouverymuch from the village of Cismywytass. We have to battle this. Now as we all know I am single, and happy… fine… just single… pining over coasts and red wine, Ferris wheels, mermaids, and manatees (they are snuggly). I can only imagine the hell my future Mrs. Consultant will have to endure. “Hey babe, we have a bottleneck in this scenario, can you go to the fridge, boil the ocean, and grab papi a cerveza?” See? I sound like a dick! But I’m programmed. This isn’t my fault? I’m a machine? $hit! Christian Bale? Run!!

And... this is why I need a girlfriend, cause you can't say that on the first date... where are you Mrs. Consultant? Eww... no... not you. Pass. Pass. Pass. Alright, I have to get off Tinder. It's got nothing for me. 

We need emotional and rational buy-in from the client (and by client I mean client, boss, girlfriend, wife, grandmother (she makes the best cakes) or anyone else you want something from). This leads to an elaborate net of manipulation. But… and this is a big one, the manipulation is for the betterment of everyone. You get what you want (YAY!), your client is happy with the insightful solution with totes value add, your boss is happy, your girlfriend is ecstatic with that B&B in Napa, and your wife… well that B is never happy (unless you are at work and she is dallying the pool girl… see? Swerve!). The superiority complex we have as consultants is okay, even needed, like the anti-hero Riddick… damn you Vin, skewing women’s views of men. The narcissism is okay, but we need to veil it. No one wants to hire Machiavelli. They want to hire the sweet, pretty bambi that gets the Machiavellian job done. Also, just realized Machiavellian is a great substitute for the F word… or any word. So stay cocky consultants! And let the light shine in to your dark soul. Make money, make money, Ho! 


Most depressing Popsicle stick ever... besides the one that gives a + sign. You can't get child support if you can't catch me!!!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment